Friday, June 15, 2012

Self-Involved / Self-Indulgent Post of the Week: Beer Good, Chiggers Bad

Benjamin Franklin once famously opined (or less famously didn't opine): "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

My skeptical nature sniffs disdainfully at the "God" part, but I'll go with it as metaphor: I love beer and am glad to have it.

Yesterday I had to perform a wetland compliance inspection on a training range at work. This involved about 4 1/2 hours of walking (around and back and forth across) this 200-odd acre range, taking photos and GPS points in late-spring Georgia heat and sun, often getting my feet soaked in dirty water ('cause wetlands). Besides the affectionate greeting of my girlfriend ("What did you bring me?!?"), the end of the day and home offered cool brew. I enjoyed a Tusker lager which my lady had grabbed for me while shopping (she really is generous and thoughtful.) It was new to me and I enjoyed its pale yellow color and crisp taste. I chased it with a Killian's Irish Red, a more mainstream but reliably satisfying choice with a richer flavor. Nothing like the complex interplay of grain and hop flavors (and a mild dose of alcohol), chilled to a degree undreamt of in old Ben's time, to soothe away the day's exertions.

Less welcome were the mementos of chiggers that I obviously encountered in the field. For those who don't know, chiggers are small arthropods related to ticks. Unlike their better-known cousins, though, chiggers have never (to the best of my knowledge) inspired a lovable comedy superhero. Also, instead of drinking your blood, they NO FOOLING EAT YOUR SKIN. I hate them.

"Well maybe we don't like you either, pal. Except your tasty dermis, that is."

The thing is that you can often find a tick and remove it before it embeds and starts feasting on your life-fluid. Chiggers are so tiny that you generally don't know you've been bitten until it's too late. "Too late" is when fluid-filled blisters appear on your skin, accompanied by a constant painful itch.

Some of you may remember me complaining last year (pre-blog) about a bad attack I suffered. This one's not quite so bad, concentrated mostly around my ankles. But yeah, not fun.

So, if there is a God, or gods, who take an interest in and influence human affairs, he (or she, or it, or they) must love us, 'cause we have beer, but also hate us, 'cause we have chiggers.

I did another compliance inspection today, which judging from the state of my lower legs meant more chiggers. Which means, tonight, more beer. Life is a constant balance. At least I haven't met a botfly
yet.

On the plus side, I've learned more about Blogger's sweet formatting features, including embedded links. Yay, me!

No comments:

Post a Comment